About Leadership Durham
What is Leadership Durham?
- Communicating the issues, challenges and opportunities facing a community
- Enabling leaders to enhance their community knowledge, networks, and leadership competencies to ultimately effect positive change
- Providing professional development to those acknowledged as having the skills to advance within the workplace and make positive change for the region of Durham and its residents.
How is it done?
Participants are nominated by their employer to attend and apply to the program.
The program runs from September to June each year, with an opening retreat, monthly learning days and a Community Project (with a local non-profit or charity). A final celebration dinner gives employers and sponsors an opportunity to see firsthand the results of this intensive program.
Benefits of a Community Leadership Program
- Employees develop organizational effectiveness through increased personal and professional leadership skills
- Leadership Durham alumni bring increased knowledge and skills to the workplace
- Participants develop valuable professional networks across sectors and throughout the region that influence their work
- Corporate Social Responsibility is developed as an employer that is committed to their staff and the community they work in
- The potential to boost bottom line profits is increased as participants help shape the community economically as well as socially
- Expanding transferable skills and knowledge vital to the growth of your company and its role in the community
- Developing critical thinking skills applicable to personal and professional problem solving
- Advancing organizational development techniques and strategies
- Boosting communication skills through team development and dynamics
- Promotion and encouragement of outstanding community leadership
- Expansion of the number of individuals who accept leadership roles in business, government, and voluntary sector
- Organizations to meet future challenges in our communities
- Development of networks of people with a sense of community trusteeship who can work together to build and sustain community
- Retention of young leaders in Durham
- Development of networks of people from different sectors of the community who can work collectively to address community issues and challenges
- An opportunity for businesses to position themselves as caring, corporate citizens with a strong sense of social responsibility
- Development of future board members for voluntary sector organizations
Encouraging a culture of passionate and engaged emerging leaders that are committed to the growth and well-being of the Durham Region